Friday, January 22, 2010

Marriage: not for the shallow hearted

As the words of a sappy song go, "Why doesn't anybody ever stay together anymore? And if love never lasts forever, tell me, what's forever for?"

Nowadays married break up for having "grown apart". Too often people use this excuse for separation or divorce. What message are you sending to your children? Or is it that people don't care as much about children nor the damage they do to them for the sake of adult personal desires? For those who support this 'emancipation of self' in the midst of a young and childed marriage, I find their thinking borderline hedonistic. Marriage is not a fete that you can just leave when the music stops or the drinks run dry, it is a serious commitment, meant for life...raising children even more so. Please do not marry if you have a short attention span for true love, which goes way beyond physical attraction and "hobbies in common". It is supposed to be for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, boredom and enthusiasm. However, the way the institiution of marriage being corrupted I can understand why same-sex marriage legislation is imminent. Marriage is no longer for procreation...it has gone primitive and is now about sexual pleasure.

2 comments:

Rena said...

Marriage is a touchy subject for me. I grew up knowing my parents were two people who should not be together. They claimed to stay married for the children's sake.. give me break. Waking up with your parents screaming at each other or the policeman at the door is not comforting or good examples for your children. I know what you are saying, but sometimes it's okay to walk away.

Pink Poui said...

Gili hunny, I agree parents screaming at each other is bad for a child--all the more reason couples thinking of getting hitched need to seriously chat about their marriage-fitness first (in my estimation about 20% of ppl in the world should not marry--far less breed!). The marriage 'talk' could take weeks, months even. I recommend Engaged Encounter via the Catholic church for Christian couples but I am sure other religions have similar seminars. For the non-religious I would think they should seriously do some research about what marriage is about. My bottom line proposal is that engaged couples NEED to talk finances, kids, schooling, real estate, assets and long term future plans for their real life together. Marriage can be bliss at times but I think whomever is it for the fairytale will be sorely disappointed.