Saturday, September 12, 2009

Belonging

We walk the house together
Scanning decrepit furniture,
Over-scrubbed bedlinens,
Chipped bone-china tea wares,
Mismatched champagne crystals,
Wilting brass lamp wires,
Sun washed wall art
Remnants of once-upon-a-life.
My children race up and down the creaky stairs.
From how she speaks, I can measure
Her hatred of them, of their chances, their energy,
Of this uncivilised heat

Can't wait to go, can't wait to go
Where I'm from children never behave so


I trail their movements,
Thinking of the low balconies
Which are everywhere; she distracts me,
"Are you listening?"
Oddly, I still pretend to care
I offer safe prices; she charges me
With craziness, meanness
Waves her hands, stark-raving.
This is for the rest of her singular self,
An only child, born in war
A baby carriage in the midst of landmines
How could I possibly understand
Guess her book value?
I over-bargain her history,
Her life of chattels.

No comments: