Saturday, September 12, 2009

BIO

Who I am
Just your average Catholic schoolgirl, with issues! I came from working class and aspiring upper middle-class lineage, bred from Indian-Euro-Lebanese stock. All restless spirits, both sides of my parentage were for the most part fortunate travellers (as Walcott might put it).

How I got here
My great paternal grandfather was a cloth merchant from Beirut, his wife, my great granny was the oldest relative I ever met: a Greek woman from a privileged family. She eloped with my great gramps and migrated to England then onto the Caribbean. I visited her on her deathbed when I was 5 and her 94.

My mother's family were staunch Muslims from Trinidad and Guyana. My grandpa on that side migrated to the USA and became a poli-sci professor in California. Granny however was undereducated and they two divorced early. But they managed to have one kid in Guyana: my mum. After the breakup, gran had it rough; she moved to Trinidad and never left. That's where I was born.

About me
In my heart I'm deeply rooted, sometimes confused in my West India-ness. For now I sojourn here in Trinidad where I feel my closest kinship. Alas, I too may someday soon leave my beloved but troubled island for other pastures, as is in my blood.

No comments: